ADSM-L

Display drives for node...

2015-10-04 17:57:47
Subject: Display drives for node...
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/29/98 2:25PM
Welcome to ADSM - How are things on the U. P. ?

The "Display Drives for Node" option is not a tool to allow you to see
Everyone's backups.  It has some built in security (as one might expect) so that
you can't just go looking to see what everyone else has backed up.  Before you
can see what I have backed up, I have to go to the "Set Authorization" function,
and grant you the authority to be able to see  my files under "display drives".
Therefore, this is more a tool for people who work together to share files,
rather than a management tool.

You can see some of the same information as an administrator through the admin
process - Q content, but this is by storage pool volume (tape), and not by
individual file system.

In my experience, as an administrator, know what was backed up on each node is
unimportant.  Knowing that a backup ran, by either checking the DSMsched.log, or
in your case, looking at the date and time stamps on a Q filespace command, is a
more appropriate function.

Hope this helps
Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    6/29/98 2:25 PM

Hello All,

I am new to the adsm scene and have what is probably a silly question:

I would like to verify backups performed from a client from my workstation.
From what I can tell, that option is available to me with the backup client
software using the "Display Drives for Node" option or with a query command
from the dsmc prompt.

When I use either of these in all the variations I could think of I could
not get a list of active or inactive files. Using the same programs on the
originally backed up client show the files backed up. I am not using the
scheduling program for the backup but using a batch file and cron program
so I can perform other operations at that time.

Is there a way to get what I would like?

All your help is greatly appreciated!

Chris Wagner
cwagner AT nmu DOT edu
Ph.906-227-1961