ADSM-L

[no subject]

1998-06-28 23:12:00
From: Gail Johnson <Johnson.GailA AT AMSTR DOT COM>
Date: Monday, June 29, 1998 03:12 PM
>Here is our environment:
>
>ADSM Release:             2.1.5.13
>ADSM is on AIX - SP/2     4.1.5
>Informix Release:         8.11+   - XPS
>Informix Release:         7.24UC1 - ODS
>HPUX Operating System:    10.2+
>
>Okay, here is my question, we are currently using Onbar to backup the
Informix
>database level 0, level 1, etc.  We are also using Onbar to backup the
logs.  I
>have referred to the redbook on backing up databases and used the
'show
>versions' command.  I have several questions  --
>
>1)  How do we expire the deactivated files -- they have the same name,
and as
>the book indicates there is a field called 'copy id' - I would assume
ADSM
>deletes these files by referring to the 'copy id' field?  In other
words, if I
>set the copy group to expire these after 7 days what actually happens
to the
>files listed below?

For the database files themselves, ADSM will expire files as per the
backup copygroup settings once the number of backups exceeds the number
of versions you have set in ADSM, and are older than the retention
timespan.

The logs, OTOH, use a unique name each time (the files that start with
/junk/<number>/) and will never expire in ADSM.  This is a Big Problem.
You can turn off reclaimation, then delete volumes that only have old
logfiles on them.  (Ugly.)  Or you can use the xapismp sample
application to expire the logs (even uglier).

>2)  Also, how does this MC:DEFAULT work -- what does this mean.  I
have given
>these Informix backups their own unique managementclass and the name
doesn't
>appear on my list?  Help.....

MC is management class, and it's using the default one.  If you want to
specify one, you need to edit your include/exclude file like

/junk/.../*  informixclass

This is the best I've come up with.  Onbar is really limited -- it
should be able to interact with storage managers (list backup sets,
delete/expire old sets, etc.).  Maybe someday.