ADSM-L

Re: client failures

1998-06-29 16:54:18
Subject: Re: client failures
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:54:18 -0400
> data to the server, it asks the server if there is enough room, i.e., the
> client specifies exactly how much space is needed to hold the object to be
> transmitted.  The server then attempts to make enough room for that object.
>
> V3 clients fixed this problem.  If the file actually grew during
> compression, then it sent it uncompressed.

I have compression forced off for all of my clients, as my 3570 drives
will do compression.  Notice that I tried 2.1.07, 2.1.08, and 3.1.03, and
all three client versions fail in the same way.  In doing some more tests,
it appears that the client is failing on a symlink that does not point at
anything:

4:52pm)[fisher]{/home/solaris_2_5_1_hw897/MU/Solaris_2.5.1MU4/sparc/Patches/patch/SUNWpatch.all/reloc/usr/share/lib/tmac}>
ls -al
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root          512 Jun 18 12:10 ./
drwxr-xr-x   5 root          512 Jun 18 12:10 ../
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root            0 Jun 18 12:10 e ->
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root            0 Jun 18 12:10 mmn ->
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root            0 Jun 18 12:10 mmt ->
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root            0 Jun 18 12:10 s ->
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root            0 Jun 18 12:10 v ->

I would guess that all three client versions have a bug in estimating the
size of these...