ADSM-L

Re: client failures

1998-06-29 16:50:09
Subject: Re: client failures
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:50:09 -0500
      Well, I bet you are using cache in your disk pool, ehhh!

     If you dig into the ugly details you'll see that :
     1) client sends a guess-duh-mation of required space necessary to hold
     the next bundle of data bound for the server.
     2) server preallocates space in the storage pool... at this time it
     will free cached space to meet the allocation
     3) client sends data BUT sends more than guess-duh-mated
     4) server will attempt to store "additional" data in unallocated,
     non-cached storage space IF IT EXISTS... if not it blows the client
     session away and issues the out of space message !

     solution, turn cache off and use "move data" to clear the cached files

     (no solution at all if  you ask me...)
     What good is having cached files if the only way to ensure the
     continued functioning of your server is to turn it off!

     I've had 35 GB archives fail with out of space condition when a 90 GB
     diskpool was only 20% migr. ie 72GB free but containing cached files
     (then I ended up adding 48 GB to it to get the archive to run)  (THEN
     I had to clear that dasd and put it back in the pool I stole it from )

     Can you tell this is sort of a sour item with me ;-)

     later,
           Dwight

     PS the sun clients seem to be the worst about this but I believe we've
     seen it on other unix clients also... and make sure you have the
     latest client code... I forget the exact details but the wrong
     compression method & compression yes but file not compressed problems
     are fixed in at least the AIX client code (latest version 3.1.0.3)