ADSM-L

Re: bad tape - restore before audit?

1998-06-24 11:09:18
Subject: Re: bad tape - restore before audit?
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:09:18 -0400
In <199806241337.JAA12522 AT phibes.dartmouth DOT edu>, on 06/24/98
   at 09:37 AM, Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU> said:

>I've got my first unhappy tape.  Should I do an "audit volume" on it first
>to see what can't be read, or a "restore volume" first, and then figure out
>what didn't get restored?  The restore preview indicates that there are
>some files that aren't on the copies (ANR1256W)...

>Thanks.

>Pat Wilson
>paw AT dartmouth DOT edu

I do audit volume before restore volume if I think most of the tape is ok.
The full process is --

1.  move data <bad volume>  (get the files before the bad spot) 2.  audit
volume <bad volume> fix=yes (flag the bad files)
3.  move data <bad volume> (get the files after the bad spot)
4.  restore volume <bad volume> preview=yes (find out what volumes to
    bring back from offsite)
5.  restore volume <bad volume> preview=no  (do the actual restore)

I have had to do this maybe 5 times, and I haven't lost a file yet!

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.