ADSM-L

Re: 3590 tape library not seeing drives

1998-06-23 23:00:47
Subject: Re: 3590 tape library not seeing drives
From: Jennifer Davis <jedavis AT DFW DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 22:00:47 -0500
Rose,

Here is a quick test that you can run to determine if the drives are 'ok'
to AIX
becuase if they don't function properly with AIX, ADSM will not be able to
use them either.

Do the following test:

1) HALT ADSM
   (otherwise you could lock up the drives, and or ADSM - not pretty)

2) mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmtX -qD  --> where X is one the drives
   --> Be sure that you see:
   "Drive is Installed in Library" AND "Drive is AVAILABLE to Lirbary"

3) Repeat for each drive

4) Ensure that you can mount tapes by running:
   mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmtX -V some_volser_# -vm

4) Ensure that you can dismount the tape by running:
   mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmtX -d

If any of these fail, you need to contact the AIX Tape Drive Support Group
for assistance, they will more than likely direct you to Hardware support.

The most common error that you may see in this case is "Drive is not available
to library" which indicates a problem with the library manager's ability to
access the drive. Usually, a CU port is offline due to a hardware problem,
or in
some cases, the library manager firmware needs updating.

Best Regards!