ADSM-L

Re: Rapid database growth

1998-06-23 13:11:41
Subject: Re: Rapid database growth
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:11:41 -0500
     How long are you keeping your activity log information ?

     What are your copy group specifics...?

     The data base is just tracking all the information saved by ADSM... if
     you are keeping a BUNCH you will have a BUNCH of data base entries...
     also remember that directory information is kept in the longest
     management class by default so each archive into a 7 day management
     class will place an entry into the longest (10 year keep if it exists)
     for the directory under which the file resides.

     And if you look into the .h files you will see that the HLqualifier is
     a var1024, LLqualifier is var256, filespace is (I think) var1024,
     etc... where a 10 byte file could use up over 200 times its size in a
     data base entry based on its directory path and file name.

     A bunch of our backups seem to press this limit with about 10 miles of
     date & time stamps down to the 10,000th of a second time stamp in
     their name.  (drives me nuts!)

     anyway,
            later,
                  Dwight