ADSM-L

Re: SQL Server Connect Agent Restore

1998-06-22 08:08:09
Subject: Re: SQL Server Connect Agent Restore
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:08:09 -0400
Debbie,

There is a restriction in the GA SQL Agent related to being able to
copy a database from one SQL server to another.  The problem
is that the SQL agent implicitly uses the SQL server name
to look up the filespace name to see which files
are available.  So, if you backup a database from a SQL server
named SQLA, you will not be able to see the backed up database
from a server named SQLB even if you login to ADSM using the
same ADSM node name as used by machine SQLA.  The reason?
Filespaces on ADSM are created in the form servername.dbname for
each database backed up by the agent.

This problem will be fixed in the first SQL Agent PTF.

Until the PTF is available, you can achieve the desired results
using the following procedure to circumvent the problem:

  1. Use the ADSM admin RENAME FILESPACE command to temporarily
     rename the filespace.
     For example, if you want to access a database named db1
     backed up from SQLA by server SQLB issue the following command:

          rename filespace <sqla_nodename> SQLA.db1 SQLB.db1

     where <sqla_nodename> is the ADSM nodename used by the
     SQL Agent on machine SQLA.  Also, please note that the case of the
     filespace names is important; be sure to match the server name
     and db name exactly.

     Note: Be sure not to do a backup of db1 from machine SQLA
           while the filespace is renamed or you will create a new filespace.

  2.  Logon to ADSM from the Agent on machine SQLB using the same
      node name as machine SQLA. You will now have access to the
      db1 database in filespace SQLB.db1 and can follow normal
      restore procedures.

  3. After you have completed the restore of db1 onto machine SQLB,
     rename the filespace back to the original name so that backups
     from server SQLA will continue to add objects to the same filespace as
usual.

Again, the next (first) SQL Agent PTF will alleviate this restriction.
Please let me know if you have further questions.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development