ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: Problem with DLT7000 Tape Library

1998-06-19 20:30:46
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Problem with DLT7000 Tape Library
From: Jennifer Davis <jedavis AT DFW DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:30:46 -0500
Martin,

"No Drives Currently Available" has absolutely nothing to do with the
hardware or device drivers. It means that the way the ADSM definitions are
setup, that you have more physical hardware avail than you reallty do.

For example:

Do a Q DEVCLASS <tapeclassname> F=D
--> Look at "Storage Pool Count" and note this number
Do a Q LIBRARY <libraryname> F=D
Do a Q LIBRARY <libraryname> F=D
--> Look at "Mount Limit" and note this number
Then:
Then:

"Storage Pool Count" * "Mount Limit" = # of physical drives that ADSM expects"

If this number is greate than the number of physical drives that you have,
you will get "No Drives Available" anytime processes collide and need drives.

Like say you have 4 phsycial drives, the MOUNTLIMIT of the DEVCLASS = 4
and 2 STGPOOLS use this same DEVCLASS.

2 * 4 = 8 --> ADSM thinks it has 8 drives available

Then at the same time you are running:

BACKUP STGPOOL (of a tape pool) which needs an input drive and an output drive
--> This takes 2.
BACKUP DB
BACKUP DB
-->This takes 1
AUDIT VOLUME <volumename>
AUDIT VOLUME <volumename>
--> This takes 1
Now your client backup comes along
Now your client backup comes along
--> BANG! "No Drives Currently Available" is displayed becuase this would
have been the 5th drive, (which ADSM thinks it can do) but you only have 4
have been the 5th drive, (which ADSM thinks it can do) but you only have 4
drives.

Hope this helps