ADSM-L

Re: Moving thee ADSM SERVER

1998-06-16 12:41:23
Subject: Re: Moving thee ADSM SERVER
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:41:23 -0600
  We are doing an upgrade on our ADSM server next week from an RS/6000 R30
to an R50. This is the second hardware upgrade like this we have done on our
ADSM servers. The ADSM database, logvolumes, and storage pools are all on
SSA disks. The way we chose to move to the new box is like this:

1. Disable logins into ADSM and stop all processes. Do a full backup of the
database (this is "just in case", it is not used if everything goes
smoothly). The additional step of migrating data from disks to tape could
also be taken before the DB backup. It all depends on the level of security
you need to feel.

2. Shutdown the ADSM server.

3. Make sure you have copies of your ADSM dev.config and vol.hist files.
(again, just in case).

4. Make a sysback tape of rootvg.

5. Apply the sysback to the system you will be moving to.

6. Re-cable the SSA drives, SCSI tape connections, network connections to
the new box.. Configure in the disks, VGs, filesystems...etc.

7. Start up your ADSM server. It looks exactly like it did before, but on a
new box.

  The whole process took about 4 hours on the first server we upgraded. Most
of that time was spent doing the full database backup (the db is 28 Gb). We
expect the second server next week to take about 2 hours.

AIX             v 4.2.1
ADSM            v 2.1.5.18

Thanks,
Ben Bullock (bbullock AT micron DOT com)
AIX system manager
Micron Technology Inc.