ADSM-L

Re: Tape Header info for data extraction

1998-06-13 22:38:32
Subject: Re: Tape Header info for data extraction
From: Luis Lopes <llopes AT IMAP.RCC.RYERSON DOT CA>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:38:32 -0400
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Dominic Lancaster wrote:

> Are you refering to the volume header, 3 x 80 byte records in EBCIDIC
> for which the format is available (I'll send it if this is what you require)
> or headers for info that comes after this (which I have never seen any
> description of)

        Actually, I'm looking to the headers after the volume header.
        I've managed to guess at the few numbers that are in
        there (like length of hostname, length of OS type)
        but am still trying to figure things out such as
        number of bytes before start of data from start of header,
        number of bytes for the data.
        At the moment, i'm doing brute force guessing.

        What makes things worse is, the start of header information
        is different for AIX & MS Windows NT/95.
        Talk about eating lots o' CPU time to search the file!

        None-the-less, I would appreciate the Volume header
        info!

        Thanks for the reply!

                luis...

--