ADSM-L

MS SQL Server Connect Agent - HELP!

1998-06-12 16:48:23
Subject: MS SQL Server Connect Agent - HELP!
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:48:23 -0400
I must be blind, or ignorant, possibly both, but I cannot find explicit
documentation that answers my questions on the SQL Server Connect Agent.
I could probably plunder my way through, but I would rather hear from
some experienced users of this connect agent.  Can someone please answer
a few questions for me, or point me to better documentation than the
Install and Using Guide?

1) With the Exchange connect agent, retention is controlled manually on
the client.  Is this also true for the SQL agent, or do I set the copy
control in the policy set to reflect what I really want the retention
periods to be?

2) When automating the operations or using the command line interface is
there a way to specify all databases or do you have to explicitly backup
each one?   (no wild card or mask?)

The Exchange connect agent is actually controlled by a command file that
is executed by the Central Scheduler.  Is this not the case with the SQL
Server Agent?  In the Getting Started doc for the SQL Server Agent there
are examples of centralized scheduling through the ADSM Central
Scheduler under Tasks, but there is not a lot of background info there.
Several questions come to mind on setting up the schedule.

1) This server is already being backed up by ADSM using the
Backup/Archive client, with an NT service running for centralized
scheduling from ADSM Admin.  I gave the SQL Server Agent a different
node name (the node name for ADSM regular backups is NEMESIS, for SQL
Server it's SQL_NEMESIS) to allow me to more easily manage the backups
differently.  Do I need a seperate service for the SQL Server backups?
If not, how does it know to use the SQL Agent to backup those databases?

2) The example says to specify the name of the database in the OBJECTS
field.  Is it really just the name of the database that goes in that
field, no other qualifiers?

3) The operation specified in the example is incremental.  Does this
mean that it will only backup the transaction logs?  How do I specify
that I want a full backup and truncate the logs?

Again, please excuse my ignorance, and thanks in advance for your help.

Debbie Weeks
University of South Florida
Information Technologies/Technical Support
*********
*Debbie AT admin.usf DOT edu
*(813) 974-6926   *  S/C 574-6926
Fax(813) 974-6926