ADSM-L

Re: 3995 Optical Library

1998-06-11 16:37:33
Subject: Re: 3995 Optical Library
From: Bill Quintrell <Bill_Quintrell AT PROVIDENTCOMPANIES DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:37:33 -0400
Bill Quintrell@PROVIDENT LIFE
06/11/98 04:37 PM
We have one...

We have a 3995-C68 attached to an RS/6000 and being managed by ADSM as a
large on-line cache for our imaging system (the permanent archive documents
are on ADSM/MVS tape).
We have a second/redundant unit set to arrive here on the 16th of this
month (we could not wait for the double-capacity model).  We currently have
4 million items and add about 6,000 per day.  At this rate, it will be full
around January.  We expect to apply an upgrade and purchase new media at
that time.  I hope it is not too tedious to slowly exchange the media and
let ADSM move to then newer capacity...

Our goal is to only access it for documents that are not in our DASD cache.
The less we access the 3995, the better we are doing.  As such, we generate
about 120 read mounts per day.  As for writes, ADSM is set to never "fill
up" it DASD to require a write mount during the day.  At night, we set the
threshold down to force a "drain" to the optical media and then raise it
back up for the next day's processing.

We have been using the unit since last November and have never had to
repair/adjust anything - it works.