ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Paradigm

1998-06-11 15:06:16
Subject: Re: ADSM Paradigm
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:06:16 -0500
Tim,

We only do incremental backups.  The chances of a backup file remaining
for life on the same tape are fairly low.  As backups expire and tape
utilization decreases, the tapes are reclaimed and the files moved to
another tapes.  Also, if you use copy pools (highly recommended) you can
easily restore a local volume that may have become corrupted.  Another
thing that some people do, and I intend to implement sometime soon, is
to have a script that will issue move data commands on tapes that
haven't been referenced in a while.  We've been using ADSM for a couple
of years now, and although we've had some tapes go bad we haven't lost a
backup file yet.

I hope this relieves your concerns.

Tina Hilton