ADSM-L

Re: Mac-Files via Novell and NT

1998-06-10 13:35:59
Subject: Re: Mac-Files via Novell and NT
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:35:59 -0700
Here's my guess: Mac files are stored differently than normal files.  While
they are stored correctly on the Netware server, the NT system will only
see a part of the file, the text part, when mounted on NT.  That is what is
getting backed up.  While you can have Mac data on an NT system, I don't
think you can mount a Mac volume on an NT system.

We strongly recommend using an ADSM client on the each machine, as opposed
to mounting filesystems across different types of systems, for this very
reason.  Same problem happens trying to backup an NT server from a Netware
or Mac system - it can't see all the special permissions and special data
objects, so it can't to a thorough job.

We do support backing up Mac filesystem on Netware and NT, assuming that
you're using an ADSM client on that system.

Hope this helps,
Brett

>Hi,
>a Mac-user stores his Adobe Persuasion files on a Novell server, the Novell
>filespace is backuped as network filespace of an NT-workstation
>(ADSM-client version 3.1.03) to an ADSM-server (VM 2.1.0.13).
>After restoring the data (via NT), he cannot open the Persuasion files on
>the Mac.
>What's wrong?
>

>Regards
>Gerhard Ginzler
>
>----------------------------------------  gerhard.ginzler AT akh-wien.ac DOT at
>
>Department of Medical Computer Sciences               (+43)(1)40400-3633
>
>Vienna University - Vienna General Hospital         Fax: (+43)(1)4088188
>Waehringer Guertel 18-20
>
>A-1090 VIENNA / Austria

  Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
  walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com         tie 276-0265
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller