ADSM-L

DLT 7000 Drive is set unavailable (AKA drive unload failure

1998-06-09 15:14:07
Subject: DLT 7000 Drive is set unavailable (AKA drive unload failure
From: Craig Bell <rcbell AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:14:07 -0400
This is a good illustration of V 3.1.1.3's fix to the long-simmering
frustration
of ADSM not recognizing a drive-unload failure, what was done to fix it, and
what the limitations still are.

The CC=205 indicates one of a number of hardware errors, and you got it
on the 00006C02 operation, which is a call to read the element status of the
drives and slots.  ADSM in v3.1.1.3 now does this to try to determine if the
drive was properly unloaded before trying to stick a new cartridge in it.
This
failure can keep ADSM from determining the drive's full status and/or from
finding an empty slot to  put it in if it is full.

The timing of the failure is probably what led to the "ANR8447 No drives ...
available"
message- if it happened after a mount point was acquired, then the drive it was
counting on is now out of commission, so it has no choice but to fail the mount
with
the ANR8447 message.

In the case of a drive actually being broken, or otherwise unloadable, ADSM
makes the drive unavailable so that it will not keep trying to use it.
ADSM is dependent on getting valid information about the drive/slot status
from the hardware, but your case the hardware keeps throwing these errors
back instead.  Although the problem here may not be that the drive is bad and
it should not have been taken offline,  the cc=205 type failures are very hard
recover from and a certain degree of reliance on valid hardware operations is
expected.

If your CE cannot determine the problem with the "adapter failure", get in touch
with ADSM service to get a capture of the failure with a device driver trace,
which
may give more precise information as to what failed.

Craig Bell

--------------------------- previous append follows -------------------------
------
Hi all,
Hi all,

We have a ADSM Server v3 and a STK9710 with DLT7000 Drives.

To start with we had a problem that occurs when drive-unload failures
occur.  The cartridge is left in the drive, yet ADSM continues to try
to load the drive with other volumes as though it were
unaffected.

To solve this problem we installed the PTF 3.1.1.3
This PTF do not fix the problem but it fix the error that is created!

Afthet this the first problem was solved.
And new once came.

When ADSM is done with a backup (not all the time) it give this error
message:

ANR8300E I/O error on library STK9710 (OP=00006C02, CC=205, KEY=FF,
ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF, SENSE=**NONE**, Description=SCSI adapter failure).
Refer to Appendix  B in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.

ANR8447E No drives are currently available with the
specified devtype in library STK9710.

ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume 410000 -
mount failed.

ANR8447E No drives are currently available with the
specified devtype in library STK9710.

ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume 410164 -
mount failed.

ANR8468I DLT volume 410287 dismounted from drive MT0
(/dev/mt0) in library STK9710.

ANR8336I Verifying label of DLT volume 410316 in drive
MT3             (/dev/mt3).

ANR8337I DLT volume 410154 mounted in drive MT0

Becauce of this the drive was set unavailable
and we were running with one drive les.

Please let me know hwat to do..

Thank All.