ADSM-L

Anyone else having server database contention problems?

1998-06-04 18:01:58
Subject: Anyone else having server database contention problems?
From: Bill Quintrell <Bill_Quintrell AT PROVIDENTCOMPANIES DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:01:58 -0400
Bill Quintrell@PROVIDENT LIFE
06/04/98 06:01 PM
I don't know where along the way it started happening (we have millions of
objects in each ADSM server)...

Simply put, if a client issues a wildcard request against the ADSM server,
then other client requests are effectively locked for a significant amount
of time.  I am not talking about moving any data - just the server
searching its database.

We have tested this on OS/390 and AIX servers with similar results.  Its
almost like the second and succeeding clients which need to store an object
(insert a record into the database) do not get a fair shot at the server
until the first "query" has completed.   As an example, start a restore of
"xxxx*" - which does not exist.  While it is running, do a store of a
single, small file.  It may take over 20 times longer than normal and with
only 2 clients and virtually no data to transmit.

Maybe there is a server tuning knob based upon the client or type of server
request...

Have you seen this?  It makes me wonder - what is the practical limit on
the ADSM database size for a given environment...
(Since we use ADSM as part of our online imaging system, one query can
start a hundred users screaming...)
Not to start a contest (our record is 52 hours for one incremental backup),
what are some of the larger ADSM server databases - i.e. number of objects
managed?