ADSM-L

Re: ADSM vs Legato

1998-06-04 12:18:10
Subject: Re: ADSM vs Legato
From: David Hendrix <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:18:10 -0600
Adrian brings up a good point...never believe the vendor when they say
"sure we can backup that database, plug X into Y and walla, you have
Z".  We test the restore of every database we put into production (that
2.3TB was fun...the tape drives are faster than the disk drives) to make
sure we can get back what we thought was protected.  I simply do not
believe vendor claims until I verify them in my environment.

As far as the white paper is concerned, my employer limits what I can
share.  For what it is worth, ADSM scored the highest.  This is probably
due to good scoring in the more heavily weighted (important to FedEx)
catagories (77 in all from about 125+ questions asked of the vendors).

That doesn't mean it is the best.  There are some things I really like
about the other products.  We will be doing hands-on testing in the next
1-2 months of 3 of the products.  If management allows, I'll share
limited results when we are finished.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com

--
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.