ADSM-L

Re: ADSM vs Legato

1998-06-03 13:04:43
Subject: Re: ADSM vs Legato
From: Laszlo Nemeth <laz AT SYBASE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 11:04:43 -0600
about 1.5  years ago i removed legato for ADSM. i will never downgrade to
legato again
(ok maybe if i had a very small network/data requirements). ADSM is
currently doing 100
times what legato could do at our site (and ADSM isn't crashing ;-). if you
want a real long
rant on legato email me.

Sounds like a legato marketing person got a hold of someone that doesn't
know silos.
a silo can be partitioned for direct attaches (but you need a control
machine for the library,
and if its down your SOL) so that you could have the same library with
legato, adsm, openvision,
and budtool all backing up to the same silo (why you would do that i duuno
but you could).

I believe that V3 is gonna allow direct attaches of a client to a tape
device.
If not then i would recomend openvision/veritas (they bought openvision)
over legato.

laz

Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> on 06/03/98 08:25:35 AM

Legato is being considered at my company because (and this is just my
understanding, could be wrong)  Legato allows you to direct-connect backup
clients to mainframe attached STK silos.  Even when the mainframe is down.
You'd need an AIX box or something for the Legato indexes to reside on.
With ADSM there is no direct-connecting to those silos.
Can anyone verify this?  Can ADSM clients backup direct to the silos
without running through the AIX box?
Julie