ADSM-L

Re: How to avoid new machines blowing disk cache?

1998-06-03 09:21:08
Subject: Re: How to avoid new machines blowing disk cache?
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:21:08 -0400
In <199806031250.IAA01857 AT phibes.dartmouth DOT edu>, on 06/03/98
   at 08:50 AM, Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU> said:

>[ I promise I'm going to write and post a newbie FAQ, Real Soon Now... ]

>I'm in the process of bringing all of my central machines into ADSM.  That
>first "incremental" backup for each machine blows everything else out of
>the disk cache and onto tape - is there a reasonable way to avoid this?

>Currently I'm backing everything up with the same policies, in the same
>management class, and have only the one primary disk stgpool.  I anticipate
>that once all the machines are in, things should be fairly steady-state and
>the diskpool will be big enough for the nightly dumps.

>Thanks.

>Pat Wilson
>paw AT dartmouth DOT edu

Try using a 'first-time' domain.

Copy your standard domain to a new first-time domain.  Keep all the
parameters and names the same, except for the 'destination storagepool'
values in the copygroup constructs.  Set these values to your tape pool.

Register new users to the first-time domain.  Monitor them to
see when the first backup is done, then update the node to
use the standard domain.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab