ADSM-L

Re: Automatic start/restart of dsmc/dsmserv - Solaris

1998-05-29 13:42:24
Subject: Re: Automatic start/restart of dsmc/dsmserv - Solaris
From: Mark Dyer <mark.dyer AT FLE.GMPT.GMEDS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:42:24 -0400
Al Cheski wrote:

> Howdy, I have implemented a new ADSM V3 Solaris server and found some nice
> online manuals to read. In the UNIX backup-Archive Client manual on page
> 10, it shows how to start dsmc sched from inittab. There is a note there
> that says starting it from /sbin/rc2.d/xxx is not possible. But, that is
> how I currently do it...so why is it not possible? Also, if I change
> dsm.sys or dsm.opt and want to restart dsmc sched to pick up the changes,
> how do I do it from inittab, I don't think I can. Finally, the ADSM Server
> Admin guide indicates that dsmserv can be started by using nohup dsmserv
> -quiet &. I do this from an rc script so it starts ADSM at boot time. Does
> anybody know the correct way to start/stop these processes at system
> boot/halt time? Also, I still have the problem where starting dsmc sched
> from a shell and then doing ctrl-c or exiting the shell causes dsmc sched
> to die...I have tried nohup, etc but can't prevent this from happening.
> Anybody found a way around this fun little problem?
>
> Al Cheski
> Gulf Canada Resources

Al,

If you have the startup line in /etc/inittab defined as a respawn
process, (i.e. adsm:234:respawn:/usr/adsm/dsmc sched > /dev/null 2>&1)
killing the active process will cause a new one to be started.
As the new process starts, it rereads the dsm.opt, dsm.sys and
inclexcl.list files.

HTH
--
Mark Dyer