ADSM-L

Re: Error Installing client on NT 4.0

1998-05-27 14:35:56
Subject: Re: Error Installing client on NT 4.0
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:35:56 -0400
Chris,

I haven't seen your particular problem, but I can tell you what worked with us. We have the ADSM v3.1.1.1 server on AIX 4.x, and are installing the ADSM client v3.1.0.3 on NT v4.0 (SP3) nodes. All nodes use a closely controlled configuration, and the users don't know the 'Administrator' passwords (so they can't mess with the basic configuration or install software).

From what I saw in previous postings to this list, the v3.1.0.3 client for Windows-32 doesn't have an interactive utility to install the scheduler - just the DSMCUTIL command-line utility. So I'm puzzled when you say "...prompts for the directory, ..." What command or utility are you using to install the scheduler?

What we do for each node:

set up a definition for the node on the server, using the NetBIOS node name and a password we choose, call it <password-1> . Passwords on the server are set NOT to expire.

Login on the client machine as Administrator, and install the ADSM client software - to reside locally - from a network file server. Suppose it is installed under c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient . We install *only* the B/A client - none of the other garbage.

to install the ADSM scheduler, we start an MS-DOS command session and enter these commands:

CD C:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient
DSMCUTIL INSTALL /Name:"ADSM Scheduler" /Password:<password-1>
/Clientdir:C:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient /Autostart:Yes
DSMCUTIL UPDATEPW /Node:<nodename> /Password:<password-1> /Validate:No

I don't know why the second command is necessary, the "UPDATEPW" - but it is!
Then, still in the same MS-DOS session, we have the user run a small program we have created, whose effect is to allow them to enter a password of their own choosing, call it <password-2>, without us knowing the password (no echo to screen) - and then the program executes the command:

DSMCUTIL UPDATEPW /Node:<nodename> /Oldpassword:<password-1>
/Updateonserver:Yes /Password:<password-2>

This last command sets a new password and updates it on the server also

Then we exit the MS-DOS session, and shutdown/reboot the machine - which installs and starts the scheduler.

That sequence has been working well for us. We have expended considerable effort to automate the installation of the software and scheduler.

Hope this helps you. Feel free to write directly to me if you have more questions!

Tony