ADSM-L

Betr.:install ADSM V3 on an Exchange cluster se rver

1998-05-27 09:53:00
Subject: Betr.:install ADSM V3 on an Exchange cluster se rver
From: Kaltenegger Markus <markus.kaltenegger AT SCHUMANN-AG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:53:00 +0200
ADSM: Dist Stor Manager:
Hi,

Has anyone installed ADSM V3 on an Exchange cluster server(2 servers -
one serving as the client the other a redunant backup).  Apparently each
server has a TCP/IP address and the cluster has a TCP/IP address.  We
are a little uncertain how to install this(we assume ADSM will go on
bothe servers but we're not sure which TCP/IP address should be defined
to the backup server).  Any thoughts or ideas will be welcome.

Thanks.

Do you want to install the Backup-Server itself on
the MSCS (Microsoft Cluster Server) to get it failsafe
or only want to backup the Exchange Server on the Cluster ?

Whatever you wish to do, do not forget about to concern
the dependencies between the appropiate resources.

You can do a lot of things using the generic application/service
failover. A very important thing is that the Virtual Server
(NETBEUI Network Name) gets a "static" WINS entry, to ensure
that, after a failover to the other node occured, the client (or
ADSM Backup Server) is able to ARP again (because the Network Name
now belongs to (or is owned by) a different MAC address.

If you want to discuss something else, do not hesitate to
write direct e-mail to me. I also plan to do some testing
in the next 2-3 weeks.

This is a special, very interesting area,
with brand new problems to solve.
To be honest I am also not very familiar with this
(especially because I´m a ADSM beginner) but
when we come to some important discovery, we can
make it public via sending it to the list,
that everyone can take profit of it.

Best regards,
Markus
#                                              #
#  SCHUMANN Unternehmensberatung AG            #
#  Zweig-Niederlassung Muenchen                #
#  GB Systeme & Netze                          #
#                                              #
#  Markus Kaltenegger                          #
#  Projektierung / Realisierung                #
#  MS-BackOffice & PC-Netze                    #
#  Tel.: ++49 89 992784-0, -11                 #
#  Fax:  ++49 89 992784-30                     #
#  D2:   0172-2685312                          #
#  E-Mail:  Markus.Kaltenegger AT schumann-ag DOT de  #
#  WebSite: www.schumann-ag.de                 #
#  Muenchener Str. 14                          #
#  85774 UNTERFOEHRING                         #