ADSM-L

Re: Central logging with V3 server

1998-05-26 23:32:31
Subject: Re: Central logging with V3 server
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 23:32:31 -0400
In <86256610.0062DF92.00 AT loudom2.humana DOT com>, on 05/26/98
   at 01:06 PM, Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> said:

>I issued the following commands:
>ENable EVents FILE ERROR,SEVERE
>ENable EVents FILE ERROR,SEVERE NODE=*
>in an attempt to begin looking  at errors centrally and see which I really
>want to report, from both clients and server errors.  I have a few
>questions:
>1.  Is there a way to exclude an error message if it's not one I care
>about, without listing all other errors?

Look at 'disable events'.

>2. In order to use FILE as a receiver, I had to specify FILEEXIT in my
>server options file, and specifiy a file.  I noticed (and this is on MVS)
>that I can't view the file because ADSM holds it  (maybe it's using
>DISP=OLD instead of DISP=SHR).   I think it will be a pain to have to bring
>the server down in order to view this file.  Do I understand this
>incorrectly?

Issue the 'begin ev' command to start logging to the file.  To 'spin off' a
file, make a tso in batch job which does a dsmadmc with 'end ev' as input,
then rename the file and reallocate it, then dsmadmc with 'begin ev' to
start on the new file.  See the admin ref for the full syntax of the
commands.  (I haven't tried this, but I bet this is the reason for the begin
and end commands).

>3. Did I use the correct syntax to specify that I want to see severe-level
>and error-level messages from both my clients and my server?
>Thanks for your help!

Don't know!

>Julie Phinney
>JPHINNEY AT HUMANA DOT COM