ADSM-L

Re: How do you deal with...?

1998-05-26 13:18:26
Subject: Re: How do you deal with...?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:18:26 -0400
Once a backup version becomes inactive, normal inventory expiration processing
on the ADSM server should handle expiring the inactive versions, regardless of
whether the file system has been deleted. The issue then becomes how the active
backups are handled.

Active backups are never deleted by inventory expiration. This is because the
active backups are intended to reflect the state of the file system as of the
time that file system was last backed up, regardless of how long it's been
since the last backup.

In order for an active version to be automatically deleted via ADSM client
processing, it must first become an inactive version. Some reasons that a
backup version may become inactive include:

* A newer backup version of the file is made

* During incremental processing of the file system, ADSM detects that the file
no longer exists

The key phrase in the second item is "During incremental processing of the file
system". If ADSM can not detect the file system, then it can not traverse it to
determine whether the file has expired. Thus it can not cause the active
version to become inactive.

In sum, in order for the ADSM to automatically delete backup versions:

1) Inventory expiration will automatically delete inactive versions that meet
the copygroup version and retention criteria.

2) Active versions must become inactive before inventory expiration can delete
them.

3) Active versions do not become inactive until a newer backup version is
created, or the ADSM client detects that the file no longer exists on the file
system.

4) The ADSM client can not detect that the file no longer exists unless it can
traverse the file system.

5) ADSM can not traverse a file system that it can not see.

6) ADSM can not assume that it should delete the filespace on the ADSM server
just because it can not see the file system on the client.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 05/26/98 09:47:14 AM