ADSM-L

Re: How do you deal with...?

1998-05-25 09:08:09
Subject: Re: How do you deal with...?
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 13:08:09 GMT
Replying to: Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH> (Mon, 25 May
1998
11:07:07 +0200)

>>I'm wondering how large shops deal with the problem that when a filesystem
>>is deleted from a client, ADSM will not expire backups of files in that
>>filesystem.   I had expected that it should treat them just as deleted
>>files,  ...
>
>I would also expect them to be treated as deleted files. What is the
>philosophy behind this anomalous behaviour? Is it documented? I don't think
>large shops should have to run around in circles looking for this situation.

I don't see it as being anomalous behaviour. I don't want ADSM to expire
files if I unmount one filesystem for a couple of days. What about a
removable filesystem? It would be the same as expiring a client files just
because it's disconnected from the network.

The point is, ADSM has no way of knowing if the filesystem has been removed
or is merely offline. It'll have to be the client to inform ADSM that the
filesystem/disk no longer exists.

However, there could be an (definable) option to "delete" files in a
filesystem that doesn't backup for more than a certain number of days.
somethig in backup/archive copy groups.

--
Rui Malheiro,
Rui Malheiro,