ADSM-L

Re: HSM, Backup & Copy Storage pools

1998-05-22 05:54:24
Subject: Re: HSM, Backup & Copy Storage pools
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:54:24 +0100
John,

We make use of both the backup and HSM clients and in the event that a HSM
disk/filesystem is lost you need to recover using the backup copies of files
(regardless of whether you choose to restore just the stubs - which would be
a sensible thing to do).  Should you lose an individual file, you would
again use the backup copy of the file.  The migration storage hierarchy is
used only to migrate and recall files as necessary.

Each of the two storage hierarchies really needs BACKUP STG to protect the
data in the respective hierarchies - so you pay quite a price for optimal
protection.  Files that have already been migrated before the client
requests a backup can be backed up without having to be recalled to the
client first; this is called cloning and adsm will copy a file from the
migration stg hierarchy into the backup stg hierarchy on the server.

You should be aware that the linkage or knowledge of a file is primarily on
the client :  it knows that a file is migrated and that it is backed up;
adsm server knows about the "two files" as essentially separate entities.

Hope this helps, regards, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275