ADSM-L

Administrative Command Schedule

2015-10-04 17:58:04
Subject: Administrative Command Schedule
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/20/98 4:26AM
Your question, and a similar one posted recently, about doing weekly,
monthly, and yearly backups with ADSM are representative of questions that
are often posted to the list server.  (But that's not bad, because that's
what the list is for!)

As has been stated in the past - ADSM is not your father's backup tool.  It
wasn't designed to do backups the way they have always been done before.  The
fundamental principle behind ADSM is that with its data base design, you can
always get back the last copy of a file, regardless of whether it was changed
last night or 7 years ago. (I could get on a soap box here, but I won't.  :-)

The long and short of it is this - a file can only be bound to one management
class at a time.  If you change the class and run an incremental backup, it
will be managed by the new rules.  Therefore, you won't have a "daily" and a
"weekly" backup together - you will only have one at a time, depending on
which you did last.

The only effective way to manage this problem with ADSM is to use the Archive
function.  There was a comment made that the person who does the archive
"owns" the archive - that is also true of a Backup.  You can, however, get
around this in a couple of ways - the supported way is to use the command
structure to assign permission to restore the Archive to another user.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    5/20/98 4:26 AM

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help,
I have a policy domain, with two different policy sets, on is for a
nightly backup for certain files and a weekly backup for all files, what
command must I use within Administrative Command Schedule to change the
active "nightly" policy set to activate the "weekly" policy set at a set
day and time.

Cheers
Dom