ADSM-L

Re: DB Backup Volumes

1998-05-20 06:55:43
Subject: Re: DB Backup Volumes
From: Andreas Kossack <anko AT ISIS.RZ.TU-COTTBUS DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 12:55:43 +0200
Hi ,

%This sounds strange to me!  My DB backups seem to be kept for 1 month
%and then expire, so I am dedicating 30 3590 tapes to holding DB
%backups.  As mentioned this is a bit excessive.  Isn't there a
%parameter somewhere to specify how long to keep them for rather than
%running a regular schedule with "del volhist t=dbb tod=-###"?
%
%The only thing I can think of is that it uses the Standard Policy
%Domain, which in my case has the backup retention set to 30 days.  I
%suppose I could just reduce this.
I use two administrative schedules every night:
        1. DELete VOLHistory Type=DBBackup TODate=today TOTime=now
        2. BAckup DB DEVclass=<device class> Type=Full VOLumenames=<name>

This gives only one DB copy on one tape, because of my original database
is AIX mirrored on 2 HDs.

Ciao
        Andreas