ADSM-L

Chewed 3590 cartridge

1998-05-18 21:00:40
Subject: Chewed 3590 cartridge
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 11:00:40 +1000
Hi,

One of our 3590 drives decided that is was hungry the other day, and
made a meal out of one of our cartridges. I can do a query content of
the volume and get a list of files (~13,000 of them). How do I determine
when each of these files was backed up, whether they are active or not,
etc. We do not have copy pools for this storage pool, otherwise I would
just mark the volume as destroyed and restore the data from the copy
pool.

But what I need to work out is what we have lost. For the files that are
on that volume and active, again it isn't a problem, because if I
deleted all of the files on the volume, the active ones would be backed
up again next incremental backup. It is the non-active ones that I am
concerned about.

Has anyone else had a 3590 cartridges chewed? Due to this problem, and a
few others of the past few months, we are reviewing our decision not to
implement copy pools.

Trevor
Trevor Foley
Trevor Foley
Bankers Trust Australia Limited
Phone: 61-2-9259 3944    Fax: 61-2-9259 2659