ADSM-L

Re: Increase of tape usage after activation of new release

1998-05-07 12:17:34
Subject: Re: Increase of tape usage after activation of new release
From: "James R (Jim) Owen" <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:17:34 -0400
We have the same problem after upgrading AIX ADSM Server from v2.1.0.12
to v3.1.1.2.  IBM ADSM Level 2 and developer are currently investigating
our problem (and possibly yours, as well -- they just told me yesterday
that someonelse had the same problem on another platform).  If you have
not already called ADSM Support, please call them now.  The problem, as we see
it, is that before the upgrade, "Query Volume Format=Detailed" showed
%utilization and %reclaimable values where
        %utilization + %reclaimable <= 100%
After the upgrade and some other seemingly extraneous processing, we have >100
tapes that show expected %utilization *and* 100% reclaimable!

Updating a tape stgpool w/ REClaim=99 causes these 100+ tapes all to be
scheduled for reclamation including at least one tape that is really 98%
utilized and full of data!  We are hoping and expecting IBM to resolve
our problem (pmr06818.180) sometime today or tomorrow so that we can
resume tape reclamation this weekend.  For now, I've disabled our reclamation
scheduling.  You probably should do that, too!

Again, the problem seems caused by an error in calculating the reclaimability
of tapes after the upgrade.  AUDit Volume for the 98% utilized tape shows there
are 0 damaged files on the tape. AUDIT RECLAIM LAST=NO that shows that we do
not have any V3 aggregate reclamation problems (0 definate and 0 possible), so
that is not a contributiing factor in the miscalculation of the reclaimability
for these tapes.

IBM level 2 support just called asking for some additional disgnostic
information from our server database.  When I mentioned your problem,
She recommended that you call IBM's World Trade Support immediately, and
"DO NOT ALLOW ANY MORE RECLAMATION PROCESSING" until IBM can fix the
bugus 100% reclaimability of those tapes (assuming that we both have
the same problem.)  Good luck to us.

Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu (USA: 203.432.6693)