ADSM-L

Re: MAXIMUM datafiles ???

1998-05-06 13:04:34
Subject: Re: MAXIMUM datafiles ???
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:04:34 -0700
If there is a maximum (which I do not believe that there is),
90,000 is probably not it. We have several filesystems in the
100,000 - 200,000 file range. You might look at an
INSTR_CLIENT_DETAIL trace on an incremental backup of the
filesystem. It will help you assess where ADSM is spending all of
its time.

Using this type of trace, we were able to determine that for one
file server we had a fixed overhead of nearly 3.5 hours for an
incremental backup. If we only backed up 1MB from that filespace,
it would still take 3.5 hours, due to the overhead involved in
parsing a directory structure of so many files, and determining
whether or not ADSM needed to back them up.

 -- Tom

"It's a dog eat dog world,                Thomas A. La Porte
 and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."     DreamWorks SKG
              - Norm Peterson             <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>