ADSM-L

MAXIMUM datafiles ???

1998-05-06 04:57:12
Subject: MAXIMUM datafiles ???
From: "Cohn, Grant" <Grant.Cohn AT SAPREF DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:57:12 +0200
Greetings

Is there a maximum number of files that can be backed up by ADSM in one
file-system?

We have a file-system with approx. 90 000 data files in it, and while
doing an incremental backup of this file system, ADSM always get to the
line : ANS4102I ***** Processed    18,500 files ***** and then stops.

After the tcp-timeout period (I have set this to two hours!) we get the
message :

               ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure.

The same thing happens every night during our scheduled backup AND also
happens if I do an INCR backup from the dsmc> prompt.

The scheduler then says it will try again in 20 minutes, after which
time the window period has elapsed.
This results in this particular file-system failing and all subsequent
file-systems not to be backed up.

We are running ADSM Server 2.1.5.15
                                  Client 2.1.10.7
On AIX RS/6000 J30. AIX 4.1.5
The Tape drive is an IBM 3570.

This problem is happening on the server that has the 3570 attached to
it! (Is ADSM still talking via TCP/IP in this case?)

Any suggestions / ideas to try would be most welcome!!

Many thanks

Grant Cohn
Shell & BP Petroleum Refineries.
Durban, South Africa.