ADSM-L

virtualmountpoint does not work !

1998-05-04 10:10:11
Subject: virtualmountpoint does not work !
From: Reinald Gfuellner <gfullner AT LPR.E-TECHNIK.TU-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:10:11 +0200
(I) I could not find an anwer to this yet.
could someone please object or confirm:

  "If the path to a unix-filesystem leads over a symlink, the border
   of this rootfilesystem to a second filesystem mounted is not
   recogniced by the v3-client."

configuration:
  clients: v3 under dec-unix 4.0b,
  server: Server Version 2, Release 1, Level 5.15 under AIX-RS/6000

example:

        * let unix-host elgon have two filesystems
                elgon_$ mount
                /dev/rz0a on /          type ufs (rw)
                /dev/rz0g on /usr       type ufs (rw)

        * automounter-paths should be used for backup
                 /NET/elgon/
                 /NET/elgon/usr/

        * this involves one symbolic link, which is dynamically
          created by the automounter:
                /NET/elgon/ -> /

        * each filesystem should be processed in a separate dsmc-session

        => as a result /NET/elgon/usr/ is expired at each backup
           of /NET/elgon/.
        =>A dsm.sys-entry
                 "virtualmountpoint       /NET/elgon/usr/"
           does not have effect on this behavior.

(II)
After browsing the v3-client-documentation, this mailinglist and
the redbook-archiv I still find it very hard to distinguish from unix-
point-of view what is and what is _not_ recogniced as one filespace.
 * Is there more documentation about this ?

 * Is there a possibility to prevent the "press ok"-windows
   in the dsm-gui for each virtualmountpoint-statement?
with 7 hosts each using 2 "virtualmountpoints" this would make working
_a_lot _easier.

thanks a lot for any hint !

R. Gfuellner
--