ADSM-L

Re: NTSERVER BACKUP

1998-05-01 10:17:58
Subject: Re: NTSERVER BACKUP
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:17:58 -0400
Phil,

        I'm no expect either, but I think I've seen explanations of these on the
list, so I'll throw in my $.02 worth.

        The first problem, where it does the backup but appears to fail (logs a
failure), I think is a known problem with ADSM if the backup takes longer
than the width of the scheduled *start* window. If it finishes after the
start window has closed, then ADSM for some reason thinks it failed.  But
it actually worked fine.  I can't remember the details, but it may only
happen for some platforms and also may be fixed in the most current version
of ADSM.

        The second need, to start a schedule automatically (as an NT service),
is
handled with the 'dsmcutil' command.  See the dsmcutil.txt and dsmcutil.hlp
files in the ...\baclient directory.  On WindowsNT, be sure to run the
dsmcutil command while logged in as Administrator.

Hope this helps... anyone who knows more than I, please correct me.

Tony
=====================
At 09:41 AM 5/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Folks,
>        I'm no ADSM nor NT expert, so please forgive my ineptitude.
>
>        Having problem with backing an NTSERVER.  The NTSERVER is the
>client,  backing up to "Server Prompted" IBM R30/7015 AIX 4.2.0 -   ADSM
>V 2, Rel 1, Level 06.  We are backing up directly to a 3570 tape drive.
>
>        The main problem is getting the 'DSMC SCHEDULE' to run properly
>on the NT Client in automatic mode.  If I start the scheduler manually
>from the client command line, the server prompted schedule routine
>appears to go through all the motions of working.  However, at the end
>of the backup when the statistics are printed I receive message"ANS4847E
>- Scheduled event 'NTBACKUP' failed, return code=4......" with a
>schedule status of 'failed'.  The schedule window reappears on the
>client waiting for the next scheduled event.
>
>        1.  Why does the backup appear to work, but reflect a failed
>status?
>
>        2.  Is there a way to get the client scheduler on the NT box to
>run as a background task and not require the scheduler to be started and
>stopped manually?
>
>Thanks for any help on this one.
>
>Phil
>

>Phil Monks
>Office Of Information Systems
>Data Base Administration
>502-574-3608

Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
GTRI Computer Coordinator                    (404) 894-8157     fax: 894-9337
GT/GTRI/AIST, Atlanta, GA  30332-0816

"Optimist:  a Yugo owner with a trailer hitch."