ADSM-L

INCLEXCL - how to find out what's excluded

2015-10-04 17:58:03
Subject: INCLEXCL - how to find out what's excluded
From: owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/30/98 3:23PM
The way I check the excluded files is to look through the GUI at the
directories in question.  There is an indication on the file that it will not
be backed up.  This varies depending on the version of the client (and
perhaps the client itself.  For NT and OS/2 under V2 clients, the font used
to display the file name was gray (and fuzzy) instead of black if the file
was excluded.  On V3, there is a small "x" on the icon next to a file that is
being excluded.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU at SMTP
Date:    4/30/98 3:23 PM

Hello ADSMer

I've to manage some AIX machines running an ADSM client. I set up an
INCLEXCL file an would like to verify, whether it exactly does what it
should do. So from time to time I would like to have a logfile giving me
a list of files that were NOT backed up because of some rules in the
INCLEXCL file. May be, I detect one of them should be backed up an my
rules are not/no_longer acceptable.

I know, that I can have a look to the dsmshedlog. It gives me the name
of files that were expired and therefore not backed up. But this only
works for the first backup after I defined a new rule. So possibly I'm
missing something.

Im also fearing that some of the rules are not working the way I expect
them to do. This for instance was the case, when I tried someting like
"EXCLUDE.DIR /test". Later on I detected, that EXCLUDE.DIR is designed
in a way that it doesn't work for subdirectories of /. The documentation
was not clear about that point.

All hints are appreciated

Udo Beckmann

eMail: udo_beckmann AT trinkaus DOT de