ADSM-L

Re: Multiple NT Servers

1998-04-30 12:41:15
Subject: Re: Multiple NT Servers
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:41:15 -0600
You definitely need to install the ADSM client on all of the NT servers you
want to backup.  If you don't do this, you'll have two trips through the
network and you don't want that.

To decide the optimum configuration for this environment, we need more
information:

1. Is all the data on all three systems essentially the same?  That is, are
your restore requirements for all systems similar?  Is the retention period
and number of versions of files to keep essentially the same on all of the
systems?  Remember, ADSM lets you customize for your specific requirements.

2. Are your backup windows the same on all the systems?

3. And about a dozen more if we talk in detail.

As a first crack at this I would probably set up my server like this:

1. Two Disk storage pools: One for data that will be collocated on tape and
one for data that won't.  Each of these pools points to a tape pool.  One
collocated tape pool and one not.

2. One Policy domain, one policy set, two management classes, one called
Normal and assigned as default and one called COLLOCATED (or some such)
with a its copy groups pointed at the appropriate pool.

3. Define all of my clients to the ADSM server into the policy domain
established above.

4. Create your schedules.

5. Install the client software on each client.

6. And away you go...

Kelly Lipp
SSSI
719-531-5926