ADSM-L

Re: SQL ConnectAgent for NT

1998-04-30 10:16:46
Subject: Re: SQL ConnectAgent for NT
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:16:46 -0400
Phil,

In a nutshell, it is supposed to work this way.  Read on to find out why.
Please read the following from the Microsoft SQL documentation and
SQL Server Unleashed Book:

The /SQLSECURE option sets the secure connection flag in
the SQL login record structure.

"By setting the secure connection flag in a LOGINREC structure ...
 the application requests a secure, or trusted connection to SQL server.
 This means that SQL server will use integrated login security to establish
 connections made ... with this LOGINREC, regardless of the
 current login security mode at the server."

"To use ... trusted connections, you must first use ...
 SQL security manager to grant SQL Server system administrator or
 user privilege to the appropriate Windows NT based groups or users.
 Use ... SQL Security Manager to revoke SQL Server privileges and
 stop a user or group from using a trusted connection."

Note: Setting the secure connection flag in a LOGINREC structure
      "enables trusted connections even when the server is in
       standard login security mode".

By default, the SQL agent logs in to the SQL server
using the special 'sa'  login.

"The sa login is a special login that is created as part of the
 installation process. The sa login owns the server and system
 databases ... "

"Regardless of actual database ownership, the sa is seen as
 the dbo of any user database."

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development