ADSM-L

Re: ANS4017E (RC-50)

1998-04-27 06:05:12
Subject: Re: ANS4017E (RC-50)
From: Michael Hartmann <Michael_Hartmann AT TRINKAUS DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:05:12 +0100
Hello Andrew,

We have the same TCP/IP connection failure with a V2.1.0,8
OS/2 client on a Warp 4 server ( TCP/IP 4.0 ). ADSM server
is MVS V3.1.1 and TCP/IP is at level 3.2. I have just set
TCPIPWINDOWSIZE to 8. This is quite slow, but it works.
In the next step we will update the TCP/IP on MVS.

I am sorry, but we still have to use V2 OS/2 clients, because
even latest V3.1.03 clients *cannot* backup OS/2 WarpServers
correctly, because of the HPFS386 IFS
 (see ADSM-L digests from last week).

Thanks
Regards

Michael Hartmann
Michael Hartmann
System development/DBA
Bankhaus Trinkaus & Burkhardt
Koenigsallee 21-23     40212 Duesseldorf    Germany
Phone: ++49 +211-910 2364
Email: michael_hartmann AT trinkaus DOT de

>Date:    Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:40:08 -0400
>From:    Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
>Subject: ANS4017E (RC-50)
>

>It is almost always impossible to diagnose "ANS4017E TCP/IP connection
failure"
>problems with just the ANS4017E message. When you get this, the first
thing you
>need to do is check the ADSM server activity log for corresponding error
>messages, i.e. ANR0480W, ANR0481W, ANR0482W, or whatever. If you don't see
any
>message on the server indicating that the session failed, then issue QUERY
>SESSION and check the state of the session. Also, on the client side,
check the
>dsierror.log file (for API applications like SQL BackTrack) or
dsmerror.log
>(for the regular ADSM backup-archive client). Typically a message will be
there
>with a TCP error number (errno).
>
>While this could conceivably be an ADSM problem, the vast majority of the
time
>these turn out to be related to something external to ADSM. If your server
is
>MVS and you are using IBM's TCP/IP version 3.2, then make sure you have
the
>latest & greatest TCP/IP maintenance installed, as there have been several
>APARs for TCP/IP 3.2 that impact ADSM. Also, check your DSM.OPT file for
the
>TCPWINDOWSIZE value. If you've got it set very high, try lowering it to a
more
>modest value like 32, and see if that makes any difference. These are only
>couple of things to check.

                                         _____
 Der Austausch von Nachrichten mit Trinkaus & Burkhardt via E-Mail dient
ausschliesslich Informationszwecken. Rechtsgeschaeftliche Erklaerungen
duerfen ueber dieses Medium nicht ausgetauscht werden.

Correspondence with Trinkaus & Burkhardt via e-mail is only for information
purposes. This medium is not to be used for the exchange of legally-binding
communications.