ADSM-L

Re: 3570 will not mount scratch tapes

1998-04-26 17:12:32
Subject: Re: 3570 will not mount scratch tapes
From: Roger Stakkestad <R.Stakkestad AT IBM DOT NO>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:12:32 +0100
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:01:24 -0500, Ray Pratts wrote:

>ADSMers,
>
>I have a 3570 which will not mount scratch tapes.  It had been working
>fine until last Thursday.  Then each time a scratch tape is requested
>ADSM writes this error message:
>
>        ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt1, error number=47.
>
>We get the error on both rmt1 and rmt2.  It will mount and read/write
>data tapes.  We've had a CE check out the hardware.  Yesterday, my
>colleague spent 5 hours with ADSM support.  The support person thinks
>it's a hardware problem.   But I'm not so sure, since it can read/write
>data tapes.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
>--
>Ray Pratts
>Pinnacle Computer Solutions, Houston, Tx
>Tel. 281-272-8932    E-mail: pratts AT ibm DOT net

Check to see if you have write protected 3570 cartridges in rmt1 and rmt2. I've
seen write protected
scratch volumes cause ANR8779E/error number 47 messages. ADSM will also try to
mount the same
write protected scratch volume over and over again. I believe this is behaviour
is changed in ADSM 2.1.X.18.

Roger Stakkestad
IBM