ADSM-L

Collocation tape management

1998-04-23 18:04:19
Subject: Collocation tape management
From: Kenton Maguire <Kent_Maguire AT ALLIANZLIFE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:04:19 -0600
We are backing up some of our larger system to a storage pool that is
utilizing collocation with hopes of reducing the number of tape mounts
required for complete recovery,  i.e. disaster.  While this model works
well, it does consume a tremendous amount of scratch tapes in our 3575 tape
library.

Is there any method that would allow us to reduce and/or control the number
of clients stored on each tape rather than dedicating a tape to each
client?  I've been told that by reducing the number of 'max scratch' tapes
for the storage pool, it would force ADSM to 'stack' client data.  However,
I haven't seen any documentation describing this method.