ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: Copy Tapes

1998-04-23 13:48:12
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Copy Tapes
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:48:12 -0400
I understand that the "recommended" values for reclaim percentage is greater
that 50%.  I have a slightly different view of it, though.

We have 3590 tape drives, which have a capacity of 10GB.

If I use the example which Bob Miller sited in an earlier post:

If I have two tapes which are 60% full, they will be reclaimed and I will end
up with 2 tapes which are 100% full and 20% full.

In my view this is a very positive result, because the 60% tapes were "Full",
so were consuming a total of 20GB of capacity for 12GB of data.  After
reclamation, the 20% full tape is "Filling", so I can take advantage of the
remaining 8GB of capacity.

We have very limited funds for tapes and 3590 tapes are fairly expensive, so
I am happy to trade the extra data movement for additional available
capacity.

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu