ADSM-L

Re[2]: Large ADSM Restores

1998-04-23 11:37:00
Subject: Re[2]: Large ADSM Restores
From: "Mercer, K. (Kevin)" <KEVIN.MERCER AT ROYALBANK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:37:00 -0400
     Hello, response to Adsm Restore problems.

     Environment:  Adsm V3 Server Aix 4.2, Adsm V3 client NT V4, 100 mb/

     ethernet network.

     We are seeing a problem with very similar issues.  Our problem is
     the slow restore time of large files over 5 - 10 MB.  Our backup
     is running anywhere from 1200 - 1500 kbs on small 2k,4k and 8k
files.

     On larger files, 5 - 10 MB and up, we see 4000-5500 kbs on backup.

     All sounds good, until we attempt a 'restore'.

     Restore runs on the small files, 2k, 4k, and 8k, at approx 100-150
     kbs.  Large files, over 5 MB, run at 75 kbs to 100 kbs.

     Many different variations on TCP setting, client and server, etc,
have
     been applied, but to no avail.

     note:  I ran a test yesterday, on an MVS Adsm V2 server with an
OS/2
     V2 client, and this problem did NOT present itself.  Backup and
     restore time were approx the same.

     Anyone else seeing this situation?

     Kevin Mercer
     Open Systems Storage