ADSM-L

Re: Large ADSM Restores

1998-04-23 11:24:34
Subject: Re: Large ADSM Restores
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:24:34 -0400
We are just getting into larger NT machines as you described and are also
looking for "tricks" to improve restore performance.  I'm a NT novice at
best, but its seems as though restore performance on a very large logical
volumes
could be improved if the ADSM client could use multiple threads and/or
processes to restore multiple parts of the logical
volume at the same time.  There has been a lot of discussion on this list
about homegrown or semi-supported methods of
running multiple concurrent processes to improve elapsed time of
backups/restores.  Testing with my own laptop running
Windows 95 I've cut my backup time nearly in half by running a few
concurrent processes.  It seems as though the single
thread process used by the standard methods provided with the product don't
ever max out your network interface card or
system resources therefore, some ADSM users are able to realize better
elapsed times by running multiple concurrent processes.  Maybe the best
long term solution would be for IBM to enhance the ADSM client to use
multiple threads/processes to improve elapsed times.  In the interim we are
attempting to develop an automated homegrown solution for running multiple
client processes to reduce restore elapsed time.

Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp
Syracuse, NY

Taylor Mitchell <taylor_mitchell AT MSN DOT COM> on 04/22/98 10:10:19 PM