ADSM-L

Re: Restored Zip Files

1998-04-22 19:49:26
Subject: Re: Restored Zip Files
From: Tony White <tony.white AT GTRI.GATECH DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:49:26 -0400
Speculation:

Compressing an already-compressed file adds characters to the end, and ADSM
stores them.  Restoring the file, ADSM doesn't strip all of the added
characters because it doesn't expect compressed files to gain in size... or
it does strip them but doesn't set the file size correctly in the FAT.  The
unzip utility sees extra characters at end, or mismatch in listed and
actual size - says "corrupted"...

IF this is the case, then turning compression off would help.  But you'll
want to check.

Tony

At 02:42 PM 4/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>One of our customers has noticed that "sometimes" when he restores zip files
>and tries to run them they don't work any more.  He gets an error message
>that the file has been corrupted.
>
>Has anyone ever experienced this?  Might it have something to do with
>compression?  Do you think if we turn compression off it might correct this?
>Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
Tony White, Research Scientist II          Tony.White AT gtri.gatech DOT edu
GTRI Computer Coordinator                    (404) 894-8157     fax: 894-9337
GT/GTRI/AIST, Atlanta, GA  30332-0816

"Optimist:  a Yugo owner with a trailer hitch."