ADSM-L

Copy Tapes

1998-04-21 17:52:32
Subject: Copy Tapes
From: Janie Pendergraft <jpenderg AT STJ DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:52:32 -0500
When we first set up our ADSM server we had a consultant come in and help
us. We had a tape drive set up for copy tapes to use for offsite backups.
We had not implemented DRM and still haven't yet but are in the process of
doing so. We have nearly 100 copy tapes in the library 4mmlib_copy with 0.3
% utilization and .51% utilization etc. This apparently happened because
our ADSM server was not set up correctly. Our tapes fill up to 100% now. My
question is when we tried to reclaim the data off of these tapes it gave us
an error message indicating that we cannot reclaim copy tapes. Is there any
way to reclaim the data off of these tapes so we can make them scratch? I
am under the impression from what I have read copy tapes cannot be
reclaimed and if this is so then we will have to keep buying more tapes
instead of scratching the ones we already have. We can delete them and
discard data but we would rather not do that in the event there is some
information on these tapes that we may need. Thanks for any help. We are
still new to ADSM and learning how it works.

Janie Pendergraft
St. John's Regional Medical Center