ADSM-L

Re: .snapshot help

1998-04-17 09:46:42
Subject: Re: .snapshot help
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:46:42 +0200
On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Steve Blevins wrote:

> Michael,
>     One of our listsrv "watchers" noticed your reply to "Carlos," and
> we were experiencing exactly the same behavior with our NetApp Server,
> too (imagine that).  Thanks for making your knowledge available.
>
>     Could you please clarify your response somewhat, though?  I

I should probably watch the ADSM-L list more frequently   :-)

> comprehend the virtualmountpoint to the .snapshot directory, but I'm
> not sure I understand the "omit it from the default domain" part.  My
> DOMAIN parameter never pointed to the .snapshot directory, just to its
> NFS mount point "parent." Does your answer mean I have to now establish
> virtualmountpoint's for each and every other "real" directory under the
> NAP Server's root, just to avoid the .snapshot directory?
>
>     Example:
>     DOMain ALL-LOCAL /nfs/misc/nappy1
>
>     would be replaced by:
>     VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT /nfs/misc/nappy1/opt
>     VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT /nfs/misc/nappy1/usr
>     VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT /nfs/misc/nappy1/home

Nope.

Based on above example, let me assume for the following that you have
mounted a NetApp directory under  /nfs/misc/nappy1  and that you want
ADSM to back up all data that are present under this mount point and
its subdirectories, excluding the .snapshot hierarchy.

If you simply  EXCLUDE /nfs/misc/nappy1/.snapshot/.../* , no files from
the snapshots will be backed up, but the ADSM client will still descend
into the .snapshot hierarchy and will match
  (# of files present in NetApp) x (# of snapshots) ,
which is an enormous number of files, against the INCLUDE/EXCLUDE list.
Moreover, if a snapshot is deleted during this processing, the ADSM
client might fail in an unexpected manner (I never checked).

Therefore you need a different approach:

Prerequisites:

1. As you can see using "ls -la", the .snapshot directory is _visible_
   only in the mount point directory. In this case, this is
   /nfs/misc/nappy1/.snapshot . The snapshot directories
   /nfs/misc/nappy1/home/.snapshot etc. are invisible and will never
   be descended into by the ADSM client.

2. ADSM will descend into all directories under a mount point or under
   a virtual mount point, provided that such mount point is listed in
   the DOMAIN statement.

3. If a path name is the name of a (real or virtual) mount point, ADSM
   will check whether this path is included in the DOMAIN. If it is
   not present in the DOMAIN, ADSM processing will completely ignore
   the corresponding file system or directory tree.

4. You want ADSM to not descend into /nfs/misc/nappy1/.snapshot.

Conclusion:

You should code

  DOMain ALL-LOCAL /nfs/misc/nappy1

and

  VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT /nfs/misc/nappy1/.snapshot

(note that /nfs/misc/nappy1 is a REAL mount point, which is automatically
discovered by ADSM. It should NEVER EVER be defined as VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT
lest you want all your backup files inactivated should the backup
client ever run an incremental backup with /nfs/misc/nappy1 unmounted).

ADSM will descend into all directories under /nfs/misc/nappy1 and back up
files based on your INCLUDE/EXCLUDE list, but will not descend into
/nfs/misc/nappy1/.snapshot . Since all other .snapshot-s are invisible
to begin with, the ADSM client will leave them alone, anyway.

If there are a few subdirectories that contain lots of files and
directories and that you also want to exclude from being processed
you can define them as VIRTUALMOUNTPOINTs the same way.

At this occasion, I'd like to ask if anyone is sending NetApp dump
output into adsmpipe. I am doing this at the Univ. Innsbruck Computing
Centre, but I have no way to verify that my dumps are usable and
consistent. (I cannot afford another filer to do restore tests). Any
suggestions?

>     Questions?  Feel free to ask.
>
> Steve Blevins
> srblevi AT netmail2 DOT mnet
> (303)624-2261
> FAX (303)624-2756
> >From jawalke AT netmail2.mnet.uswest DOT com Tue Apr 14 12:52 MDT 1998
> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:51:14 -0600
> From: jawalke AT netmail2.mnet.uswest DOT com (Jane Walker)
> To: Steve Blevins <srblevi AT uswest DOT com>
> Subject: ..Snapshots memo
>
> Steve,
>
> As promised....

>         Re: .snapshots help
>    Date:
>         Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:37:02 +0200
>    From:
>         Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
>

> Andy Railbeck wrote,
>
> > The problem is that the "exclude /.../nfs/user/c/.snapshot/.../*" is
> > a subset
> > of the "include /.../nfs/user/c/.../*". ADSM processes the > >
> > include/exclude list
> > from the bottom-up,  [...]
>
> The real problem is that Carlos W Sielesky Jimenez is obviously trying
> to back up a NetApp server, where the .snapshot directory contains
> multiple images of the complete (!) directory tree at various times.
> Simply excluding .snapshot-files will not stop ADSM from descending into
> this directory hierarchy.
>
> What you really want to do is to define /nfs-mountpoint/.snapshot
> as a virtual mount point in the client system option file and to omit it
> in the default domain. This did the job for me.
>
> Sincerely,  Michael Fink
>

> --
> Jane Walker                 Phone: (801) 237-5532  GO JAZZ!  //
>    205 E. 2nd S. Rm 203     Fax  : (801) 237-3099           //
>    Salt Lake City,          Pager: (800) 759-7243       __ //
>    UT 84111                 Pin  : 2468302             (_o_/
>    MailTo: jawalke AT netmail2.mnet.uswest DOT com       \\/\//\T//\///

        EDV-Zentrum | Universitaet Innsbruck      | Tel: +43(512)507-2311
 Computing Services | Technikerstrasse 13         | FAX: +43(512)507-2944
--------------------+ A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria | Michael.Fink AT uibk.ac DOT
at