ADSM-L

Re: Multiple DSMSERV processes - useful? (Survey)

1998-04-17 00:29:38
Subject: Re: Multiple DSMSERV processes - useful? (Survey)
From: Roger Deschner <U52983 AT UICVM.UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:29:38 CDT
>Is anybody out there running TWO (or more) dsmserv processes on the same
>machine?  If so, why (briefly)?
>
>I'm discussing whether my group should or should not do this,  and would
>love your input.
>
> I'll summarize the results to this forum: PLEASE RESPOND YES OR NO. to
>lhmorris AT us.ibm DOT com.
>
>Thanks very much!

We are. We have two very different sets of clients, which need to be
managed very differently. One set is a collection of Unix systems. The
other is all our human-owned desktop PCs and Macs. These groups are much
too different to be accomodated by Policy Domains and such, because we
manage things like migration, reclamation, and database backup
differently for the two. Our life has become MUCH easier since splitting
into two server processes. (We run VM, where this was very easy to do.)

Aliases:                  u52983 AT uicvm.uic DOT edu        R.Deschner AT uic
DOT edu