ADSM-L

Re: Techniques for restoring a complete NT server

1998-04-16 04:59:22
Subject: Re: Techniques for restoring a complete NT server
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:59:22 +0200
Hi Taylor!
If you have a version 3 server and you are licensed to use the Disaster
Recovery Manager you can download a set of 6 disks from IBM which allows
you to use the "DRM Stand-alone Dump/Restore" facility.
You can use this to recover from a harddisk crash. However, if you machine
crashes and you want to recover on different hardware you can't use this
feature either.
Ghost is also a very nice application (it can dump and restore single
partitions while ADSM's DRM can only handle complete disks) but also not
usable when restoring to different hardware.
I wonder if there is a product which allows one to do this. Since NT stores
several hardware specific parameters in it's registry and NT isn't at all
plug-and-play compatible I see no other way than to do a full re-install...
In Windows 95 one can enter the save-mode, delete all previously detected
devices and restart in the normal mode. Windows will then re-detect all
devices, included newly added hardware. This is one of the nice features of
plug-and-play. NT is not that flexible. However, Microsoft indicated that
full plug-and-play will be available in Windows NT 5.0. This should make
our lives easier.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon