ADSM-L

Space Reclamation problem

1998-04-15 20:43:20
Subject: Space Reclamation problem
From: "Shafiee A. Jalil" <Md-Norshafiee.B.Abd-Jalil AT OPENMAIL.FIC323.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:43:20 +0800
Hi everyone,

We have a problem with space reclamation of our off-site volumes. Our
current setup is like this:

IBM R/40 using AIX 4.2.
ADSM v3.1
Our primary storage pools are disk and a 3494 library (data is first
written to disk which is later migrated to tape).
Our secondary storage pool is a 3570 library (everyday, backups of the
DB and storage pools are made to the 3570). The tapes are then taken off-site.

All other operations work except for space reclamation of the offsite
volumes. Actually, the problem is only with a few specific volumes (4
tapes - 17DF1F, 17E30A, 000199 & 000208. note: 17**** are 3570 tapes
and 000*** are 3494 tapes). The space reclamation fails and it executes
again every minute or so. Attached below is an extract from the activity logs:

==========================

ANR1043I Space reclamation retry delay ended; checking  volume
reclamation status for storage pool DRMCOPYPOOL.

ANR0984I Process 87 for SPACE RECLAMATION started in the BACKGROUND at
07:35:15.

ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume 17DF1F,  storage pool
DRMCOPYPOOL (process number 87).

ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume 17E30A, storage pool
DRMCOPYPOOL (process number 87).

ANR1044I Removable volume 000199 is required for space reclamation.

ANR1044I Removable volume 000208 is required for space reclamation.

ANR8324I 3590 volume 000199 is expected to be mounted (R/O).

ANR8324I 3590 volume 000208 is expected to be mounted (R/W).

ANR9999D afcreate.c(980): Unexpected result code (37) from
ssReconstruct.

ANR0985I Process 87 for SPACE RECLAMATION running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state  FAILURE at

ANR1092W Space reclamation terminated for volume 17DF1F - internal
server error detected.

ANR9999D sssess.c(389): Unexpected next frame sequence number -
aggregate may be open at end of session.

ANR1042I Space reclamation for storage pool DRMCOPYPOOL will be retried
in 60 seconds.

===========================

Tapes 17DF1F and 17E30A are off-site with a state of VAULT.

We have tried auditing the volumes listed above but no errors were
detected. (We did not audit 17DF1F and 17E30A though because they are
off-site). Space reclamation for other off-site tapes seem to work and
it is only with these 2 off-site tapes (17DF1F in particular) that we
seem to have a problem.

Does anyone know what the problem is? (especially the 'internal server
error' message)

We would be grateful for any help that we can get.

Thanks,
Shafiee,
Brunei Shell Petroleum.